Tel. +44 (0) 1263 861373

1690 - 1740

1790

Soane's Journal

1830

1880

1939 - 1970

2009 / Today

The Georgian Wing (which sits looking east over the principle gardens) and the kitchen wing (with sculleries, dairy and servants' quarters) were added to existing Tudor Mansion.

1790

Soane's Journal

1830

1880

1939 - 1970

John Soane, young stone mason cum architect (later to be ennobled as Sir
John Soane) commissioned to design a Gentleman's Residence in place of Tudor Mansion.

Soane's plans in archives of Soane Museum in Lincolns Inn Fields London with his Bank of England plans and others.

Listed Grade II.

"Work was in hand
by July 1790.

Foundations were dug in August and although the workmen had to break off for four days in September to give a hand at the harvest, the framing of the roof was nearing completion by early October. The house was covered with glazed tiles."

Canon J. H. Sparke bought the Gunthorpe Estate. It remained in the family until 1970's.

Architect Butterfield commissioned to carry out internal alterations and extensions to the property. Many Soane's features lost.

The Victorian dining room, west wing and bow windows added and the Soane portico removed.

In 1900 Charles Bowyer Sparke, an artist, commissioned the new entrance portal and tower for his studio. Gallery of his paintings now hangs in the billiard room - scenes of Norfolk countryside and farm life.

Requisitioned in the Second World War. US Air Force took up residence.

1970's - The Sparke family sold the estate to Sun Alliance. The present owners bought Gunthorpe Hall in 1979. Renovation programme commenced.

Much effort has been made to keep The Hall unaltered while bringing it into the 21st Century.

Outside one can see the form of the Soane house with the three double brick gauged arched windows overlooking the fountain. Soane features are evident in the entrance hall, the billiard room and in the apsed bedroom on the first floor. Kitchen remodelled by Soane. Flavour of his design remains today.

Clock tower renovated. The clock chiming the hours having been silent for 35 years.

© Gunthorpe Hall. Melton Constable, Norfolk. NR24 2PA. Website designed by Uncoated Design